- Is top post or side post battery better?
- Can I use a side post battery to top post?
- Are side post batteries better?
- What are the different types of battery terminals?
- Can battery posts be replaced?
- What is a side post battery?
- How do I change a side post battery?
- What is the part that connects to the car battery called?
- What year did GM start using side post batteries?
- What is the thread size on a side post battery?
Is top post or side post battery better?
Both top and side is the best!
Another major benefit is that a top post is easier to connect a jumper cable to. I recently replaced my battery with one with both top and side posts. The car requires the side post connection BUT I use the top post for my 1/0 guage amp power cable.
Can I use a side post battery to top post?
Replace the Battery's Terminals
Replace each battery terminal with a post converter. These parts give you a safe and effective way to convert a side design to a top-post configuration. The converters should stretch between the sides and end up along the topside of the battery.
Are side post batteries better?
My experiences were that the GM side post terminals were much more dependable, less likely to corrode, and generally made better contact than top post batteries. For every side post unit with a problem there were probably 7-8 f'uped top post ones.
What are the different types of battery terminals?
BATTERY TERMINAL TYPES AND APPLICATIONS
- In this tip, we will focus on the most common battery terminals that you can find in our range.
- Auto Post Terminal (SAE terminal) ...
- Stud Terminal. ...
- Dual Post Terminal / Marine Terminal. ...
- Button Terminal. ...
- AT Terminal (Dual SAE / Stud type terminals)
Can battery posts be replaced?
If the battery terminals have minor corrosion, just remove them and clean them and the battery posts with a wire brush. ... But if either or both terminals don't clamp tight or the corrosion is eating away at the metal, they should be replaced.
What is a side post battery?
A side post battery has the positive and negative terminals located on the side of the battery rather than on the top of the battery. Generally, car batteries need to be replaced every three to five years. They are being used every time you run the car as the car battery supplies the power necessary to start your car.
How do I change a side post battery?
How to Change a Side Post Car Battery
- Park your car in a safe, level place and open the hood. ...
- Locate the battery on your car. ...
- Remove the hold-down securing the battery to the vehicle body or mounting tray. ...
- Disconnect the black, negative battery cable first, and then disconnect the red, power battery cable. ...
- Clean the battery posts if covered with corrosion.
What is the part that connects to the car battery called?
Battery Terminal/Bushing: The terminals are connected to the positive strap and the negative strap of the end cells, and are the interfacing point between the battery and the vehicle's electrical system.
What year did GM start using side post batteries?
First, the division will supply as original equipment on about 80 percent of General Motors car divisions' 1971 model cars, the new Delco sealed side terminal (ST) battery. This new battery design was introduced by Delco-Remy in 1969, but has been available only in the after-market.
What is the thread size on a side post battery?
General Motors, and other automobile manufacturers, have also begun using side-post battery terminals, which consist of two recessed female 3/8" threads (SAE 3/8-16) into which bolts or various battery terminal adapters are to be attached.